(Want to know how I meal plan a month in minutes? Here's how!)
One of mine and Mr Meatified’s favorite restaurants back in the pre-Paleo days was a Cuban place that made amazing food from some pretty humble ingredients. My favorite dishes were all marinated in Mojo, a vampire-warding multipurpose sauce, marinade and dip made from copious amounts of garlic and fresh citrus juice. Mr. Meatified was somewhat obsessed with their stuffed avocado appetizer… which was sadly swimming in not-so-great-for-you Thousand Island dressing.
Here, I’ve combined both of our favorite things from that menu as inspiration for a simple and speedy dinner that makes use of leftover chicken. I always batch cook a few things at the weekend, like a pan of quick roasted chicken thighs. That way, I’ve always got an easy meal base to hand. These Mojo Chicken Avocado Cups are one of our favorite ways to use up all that on-purpose “leftover” chicken in a way that is quick, delicious and Cuban-inspired. Hold the Thousand Island, though!
Mojo Chicken Avocado Cups
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 2 - 4
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ tsp dried oregano leaves
- ½ lb leftover chopped or shredded chicken
- ½ small onion, sliced finely
- 2 avocados, cut in half with pit removed
- 1 mango, chopped into bite size pieces
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Pinch salt
- SIMMER: Add ½ tablespoon of the coconut oil to a skillet over low heat and add the garlic. Cook until softened and fragrant, about a minute. Pour the orange & lemon juices into the pan and add the oregano leaves to make the mojo sauce. Turn up the heat enough to bring the juice to a simmer and cook for a few minutes. Pour the mojo from the pan into a jar and set aside for now.
- SOFTEN: Add the remaining ½ tablespoon of the coconut oil to the pan over medium heat. Add the leftover shredded chicken and cook until heated through. Add the finely sliced onion and 4 tablespoons of the mojo sauce, tossing to coat. Turn the heat down to a low-medium and cover the pan. Cook until the onions are softened but still a little crispy, about 6 – 8 minutes. Pour over the rest of the mojo sauce, then remove the pan from the heat and set it aside to rest, still covered, while you get the avocados ready.
- ASSEMBLE: Cut a thin slice of skin from the rounded end of the avocado halves and discard: this will stop them from rolling around on plates! Divide the Mojo Chicken evenly between avocado halves. In a bowl, toss together the mango, cilantro, lime juice and salt. Spoon the mango over the Mojo Chicken Avocado Cups and serve immediately!
Affiliate Disclosure Many of the links on this blog are affiliate links. Meatified receives a small commission when some items are purchased through these links, but the price stays the same for you. Meatified is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.