Chicken Taquitos by Predominantly Paleo
For Taquito Shell:
- 2 cups mashed yuca (peeled, coarsely chopped, boiled until fork tender, and drained)
- 1 plantain, peeled
- 1 teaspoon garlic sea salt
- ½ cup avocado oil + 1 teaspoon divided
For Avocado Dipping Sauce:
- 2 avocados, peeled/pitted
- Large handful chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground garlic sea salt
- Juice of ½ lime
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Sauté onion in small skillet with 1 teaspoon avocado oil until nicely browned, and then set aside
- Take mashed yuca and blend with peeled plantain, garlic sea salt, and avocado oil in sturdy blender until a dough is made.
- Remove dough from blender and allow to cool slightly.
- Take a small handful of the dough and roll it between two pieces of parchment paper to form a “tortilla” about ¼” thin . Note: Making tortillas too thick will cause them to crack during the rolling process down below.
- Repeat until baking sheet is filled, or yuca dough is used in its entirety.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until the tortillas can be worked with more easily.
- While tortillas are baking, poach chicken breasts in simmering water in a stock pot for about 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Drain water from chicken and transfer chicken to a sturdy blender with remaining seasonings.
- Blend until chicken is finely shredded and add in sautéed onion.
- Raise oven setting to 425 F.
- Now take one baked tortilla and place 1-2 tablespoons of the seasoned chicken and onion mixture in the tortilla lengthwise.
- Roll up tortilla into a taquito and place back on parchment lined baking sheet. Note: if your tortilla cracks while rolling, use a little extra avocado oil and “seal” the cracks by pressing the dough back together manually. Repeat with remaining tortillas and chicken.
- Bake for another 15-20 minutes or until nice and crispy; you will want to keep an eye on them to prevent burning.
- For avocado dipping sauce, mix all of the dipping sauce ingredients in a blender or food processor and serve.