Whatever oil you use, you don’t want it to overpower the dressing. This is definitely not the time for cold pressed avocado oil! Use a very mild, neutrally flavored avocado oil, like this one, or a very mild olive oil, like this one.
A quick anchovy guide: add 1 anchovy for a mild, subtle flavor, 2 for a dressing with a bit more bite and 3 if you really like anchovies!
The Caesar Dressing is best used immediately. Over time, the emulsion will break down and then separate, so it’s best to make just before you’re planning to use it.
* Use very fresh garlic – older garlic is too dry and won’t emulsify, leaving you with a watery, unusable result.
* Chilling the anchovies, lemon juice and oil in the fridge ahead of time gives more consistent results than using ingredients with different temperatures.
* Make sure that the immersion blender is at the bottom of the container and that you blend from the bottom of the container first. This helps incorporate the oil a little at a time, which makes for the best, thickest emulsion.
* Add the oil directly to the blending container with the head of the immersion blender already in place.
* Measure the oil directly into the blending container, using an electronic scale. It’s more accurate and helps keep the proportions right.