Eggless Coconut Shrimp with Pineapple Ginger Dipping Sauce
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
For the eggless coconut shrimp:
For the pineapple ginger dipping sauce:
- 1 cup / 150 g fresh or frozen pineapple chunks
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml water
- 2 tbsp / 30 ml lime juice
- 2 tbsp / 30 honey
- 2 tsp / 6 g ground ginger
- 1 tsp / 5 ml coconut aminos
- PREP: Put the tapioca starch into a ramekin and pour the coconut milk into a second ramekin or bowl that is deep enough to dip the shrimp into easily. Add the cassava flour, unsweetened coconut, sea salt and garlic powder to a third bowl and stir together until evenly blended.
- BREAD: Take a shrimp by the tail and dip it to coat lightly in the tapioca starch, shaking off any excess. Dip the coated shrimp into the coconut milk evenly, then gently let the excess liquid drip off. Place the shrimp into the breading mixture, covering it evenly and pressing lightly to stick. Transfer the breaded shrimp to a large plate or baking tray. Repeat with all of the shrimp until they are breaded, then pop the plate or baking tray into the fridge to chill.
- SIMMER: Add all of the dipping sauce ingredients to a small saucepan on the stove over low medium heat. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook, stirring often, until the mixture has thickened and combined into a syrupy liquid, about 8 – 10 minutes. It will look almost too thick, but that will change once it’s blended!
- BLEND: Transfer the syrupy sauce mixture to a high sided jar or blending container and blend until smooth using an immersion blender. Save the dipping sauce for later.
- FRY: Add enough oil of your choice to a heavy bottomed dutch oven with high sides to almost completely cover the shrimp – choose something that has enough room and high enough sides that the oil won’t overflow as it foams up when frying. Heat the oil to 375 F / 190 C and use a thermometer to make sure the oil temperature stays consistent. Working in batches as necessary, add the shrimp to the hot oil and cook, turning at least once, so that both sides are golden brown.
- SERVE: Transfer the cooked shrimp to a paper towel lined plate and repeat until all of the shrimp have been fried. Sprinkle with a little salt and serve with the dipping sauce on the side.