Paleo Sweet Potato Gratin
This paleo sweet potato gratin is creamy and delicious, while still being vegan and dairy free! This baby is perfect for Thanksgiving!
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 mins
- Yield: One 7 x 11 inch tray, or 6 - 8 individual ramekins 1x
- Slice sweet potatoes to approximately 1/8th inch thick. Unless you have the patience of a saint, use a mandoline! Thinly slice the shallot, too.
- Grease a 7 x 11 baking dish with oil of your choice (or, as pictured 6 – 8 individual ramekins).
- Place an overlapping layer of sweet potato slices on the bottom of the dish; alternate with sliced shallots. Continue until all sweet potato and shallot slices are used up: this should make 4 layers of sweet potato & 3 of shallots in a 7 x 11 dish. Save the larger slices for the final layer.
- Preheat oven to 400F while you make the sauce.
- Add the coconut butter to a saucepan over very low heat; when melted, add the almond flour.
- Whisk almond flour into coconut butter until large crumbs are formed.
- Add coconut milk in half cup increments, whisking each time to combine. There will be a few lumps which is fine!
- Add salt and fresh herbs; stir in.
- Add pumpkin puree and whisk until smooth.
- Turn up the heat to a low-medium and heat for a few minutes until sauce is warm and pourable.
- Pour the sauce over the gratin dish or ramekins.
- Bake in the oven for 30 – 40 minutes, uncovered, until the potatoes are cooked through and the top is brown.