Instant Pot Swedish Meatballs in Gravy from The Paleo Healing Cookbook: Instant Pot Recipes
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 16 meatballs 1x
Cooking Liquid & Ingredient Adjustments for the Instant Pot:
- Reduce the broth to 1 ½ cups (360 ml), divided.
- Omit the oil.
- Use 2/3 lb (300 g) peeled white sweet potato, cubed into 1 inch (2.5 cm) pieces, instead of already baked and cooled sweet potato (about 1 small).
- BLOOM: Pour ½ cup (120 ml) of the beef broth into a bowl and sprinkle the powdered gelatin over it. Set aside to let the gelatin bloom.
- SOFTEN: Add the diced onion, 2/3 lb (300 g) white sweet potato and the remaining 1 cup (240 ml) of beef broth to the stainless steel insert of the Instant Pot®. Close the lid, set the vent to the “sealing” position and set the Instant Pot® to manual pressure (high) for 5 minutes. Once the time is up, press the “Cancel” button, then use quick release to relieve the pressure and open the lid.
- BLEND: Add the bloomed gelatin to the hot cooking liquid and stir until the gelatin dissolves completely, then add the coconut milk. Use oven gloves to remove the stainless steel insert to cool on a trivet. Use an immersion blender to puree everything together in the Instant Pot®, carefully tilting it to one side to make it easier to blend.
- MIX: Pour ½ cup (120 ml) of the pureed sweet potato mixture into a mixing bowl. Sprinkle with the salt and mace, then stir the mixture together. Add the beef and pork to the bowl. Don’t panic when it looks like there is way too much liquid in the bowl! I promise there isn’t: as you begin to mix the meatball mixture together (using your hands is easiest), the liquid will be absorbed. The meatball mixture will be a little softer than normal to work with.
- COOK: Use a 2 tablespoon (30 ml) scoop to divide the mixture into approximately 16 meatballs. With damp hands or while wearing gloves, roll the meatballs and place them into the Instant Pot®, nestling them into the remaining pureed sweet potato mixture. Give the Instant Pot® a gentle shake to make sure that the meatballs are coated and not touching each other directly. Close the lid, set the vent to the “sealing” position and set the Instant Pot® to manual pressure (high) for 5 minutes. Press the “Cancel” button, then let the meatballs rest for 5 minutes before using quick release.
- REDUCE: Use a slotted spoon to transfer the cooked meatballs to a bowl and reserve. Use an immersion blender to emulsify and puree together the meat juices and sauce together into a smooth, creamy gravy. Turn on the Sauté function and bring the gravy to a simmer. Cook, stirring often, until the gravy has darkened and thickened down to approximately 2 cups (480 ml), about 4 minutes. Press the “Cancel” button and return the meatballs to the gravy, stirring to coat and warm through before serving.