(Want to know how I meal plan a month in minutes? Here's how!)
Who knew you could make a dairy free chowder AND that it could be creamy-delicious-goooood? I didn’t until pretty recently!
After a week packed with minor home disasters (burning power outlets, anyone?!), Mr Meatified and I were in need of a little pick me up. This dairy free chowder is a bowl of comfort for sure! Especially when it’s packed full of seafood, both of our favorites. I used a mixture of calamari, shrimp, mussels and clams, but you can use whatever you like! This dish is a great way to use any kind of fish or seafood that you happen to have in the freezer. It’s also a great way to stretch out that bag of seafood mix you bought but don’t really know what to do with! Or does that only happen to me?
The trick to making this really thick like a genuine gluten-dairy-bombed chowder is not to rely on coconut milk alone. Instead, while the rest of the chowder was cooking, I boiled 2 cups of diced white sweet potato until tender, then pureed them in a blender with some coconut water. I added that to the chowder and it really thickened up the chowder beautifully without overwhelming the taste of the seafood and fresh thyme. Mr Meatified was in heaven – the combination of sweet potato and coconut milk satisfied his cream-loving soul! The other side effect of that combination is that this soup is extremely filling because it is so rich. Yay full tummies!
So now you know: it is possible to make a dairy free chowder without any fancy flours or starches.Print
Dairy Free Seafood Chowder
Dairy free chowder exists! This soup is creamy & delicious as well as dairy free! Pack it with your favorite seafood & enjoy a bowl of comfort.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1 tbl avocado oil
- 1 diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 4 cups diced white sweet potato, divided
- 1 cup clam juice or seafood broth
- 2 cans coconut milk, with the coconut water from one can reserved
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbl fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 – 1.5 lbs mixed seafood
- Bunch of green onions, chopped with green ends reserved for garnish
- In a large pan over low heat, soften the onions and carrots in the avocado oil, about 10 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of the diced sweet potato to the pan along with the onions and carrots. Pour in the clam juice and 1 can of the coconut milk. Remove the cream from the 2nd can of coconut milk and add to the pan. Reserve the remaining coconut water. Add the bay leaves, thyme and salt. Increase the heat to a low simmer.
- In a separate smaller pan filled 2/3 full of water, add the other 2 cups of potato and boil until tender.
- Drain the sweet potatoes and add them to a blender with the reserved coconut water. Blend until smooth.
- Add the pureed sweet potato to the soup pot, stirring to combine and bring the pan back to a simmer.
- Add the white parts of the green onions to the pan as well as the seafood. Simmer until cooked through. Remove the bay leaves.
- Serve garnished with the green onion tops.
Affiliate Disclosure Many of the links on this blog are affiliate links. Meatified receives a small commission when some items are purchased through these links, but the price stays the same for you. Meatified is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.