(Want to know how I meal plan a month in minutes? Here's how!)
Not too long ago, I asked about people’s favorite Fall flavor on Facebook. Sadly for me, a devout apple-lover, pumpkin trounced the competition. Then I went ahead and made an Apple Pie Pudding anyway because I’m contrary like that. To make it up to pumpkin lovers everywhere, I came up with this paleo Pumpkin Pie Pudding!
What’s so great about a paleo Pumpkin Pie Pudding? Well, it’s dairy free and packed full of healthy fats because it’s made with coconut milk. It has plenty of pumpkin in it, obviously, plus the mandatory pumpkin pie flavor boosters: maple syrup and cinnamon. (If you are looking for a canned pumpkin puree that is BPA free, here is one.) And then this paleo Pumpkin Pie Pudding is set and gets its silky texture from the addition of some grass fed gelatin. This pudding has all the flavor of pie, with none of the usual icky gluten, sugar or processed ingredients. Plus, you don’t have to cook or make pastry! Yay! Did I mention that I topped it off with maple candied pecans? Because – I topped it off with MAPLE CANDIED PECANS! I used 4 oz Mason jars as ramekins so that they could be stored covered in the fridge easily.
Why I use grass fed Gelatin
I prefer to use grass fed Gelatin as it is sourced from animals which have not been fed any grains or soy products. If you source your gelatin carefully, this also means that the animals have been raised hormone, pesticide and GMO free.
Edited to add:
Some people were reporting issues regarding the gelatin combining. Although I did not have those problems myself, I have amended the instructions so that the gelatin is now bloomed first and then dissolved into the coconut milk first; this should alleviate any issues. Please let me know if you have any problems!
Paleo Pumpkin Pie Pudding with Maple Candied Pecans
This Paleo Pumpkin Pie Pudding is dairy free & packed with pumpkin, maple syrup & cinnamon. All of the flavor of pumpkin pie, but no baking needed!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 8 4 oz puddings 1x
For the puddings:
- 1/4 cup cool water
- 2 tbl grass fed gelatin
- 1.5 cups coconut milk
- 1.5 cups pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
For the candied pecan topping: (omit for AIP)
For the puddings:
- Place the water in a bowl and sprinkle the grass fed gelatin over it. Set aside to dissolve.
- To a small saucepan, add the coconut milk. Gently warm the coconut milk over a low heat – do not simmer or boil. Whisk in the dissolved grass fed gelatin and keep whisking until combined. Remove from the heat.
- Add the pumpkin puree, maple syrup and cinnamon to a blender.
- Puree until smooth.
- Add the grass fed gelatin and coconut milk mixture to the blender; process to combine.
- Use a wide mouth canning funnel to divide the mixture evenly between 8 4 oz mason jars or ramekins. Chill for at least 1 hour.
For the candied pecan topping:
- Add all the ingredients to a small saute pan. Cook over medium high heat – the right temperature will be when the maple syrup is bubbling. Keep stirring constantly until the syrup reduces and the pecans are coated, about 5 minutes.
- Remove to a parchment paper lined plate. Chill until the puddings are ready, then top the puddings with the candied pecans.