So, apparently, it’s the Super Bowl soon. Says the girl who had to be told really rather recently that Super Bowl is indeed two separate words. I’d been spelling it Superbowl for years. Clearly I know nothing about football. But I do know how to make a crock pot full of awesome, like this Super Bowl Crock Pot Chili!
So why is this Super Bowl-worthy chili? It’s delicious, of course, but the best part is that it’s made in the crock pot and uses 5 lbs of beef at a time – so it’s perfect for feeding a crowd!
(Especially if you use some of it to make my Paleo chili-stuffed version of Jalapeño Poppers here.)
How to make Super Bowl Crock Pot Chili
My chili-making method looks a little strange at first, I admit. Why? Because I don’t actually mix together all the chili ingredients together before I start the crock pot. Instead, here is what I do to make my Super Bowl Crock Pot Chili:
- Brown my beef in batches, making sure to drain off any excess fat. Then I layer the beef in the bottom of the crock pot.
- In a large skillet, soften the onions and all the (chili) peppers, along with the spices and seasonings. This helps reduce down the volume of vegetables so that they will fit in the crock pot.
- Once the vegetables are softened and have reduced in volume, stir through the drained tomatoes, then layer everything ON TOP of the meat in the crock pot.
- Pack the vegetables down with the back of a spoon or spatula, then pour over the beef stock.
- Turn on the crock pot to high and leave well alone for a few hours!
- This last step is optional, but delicious: when there’s about an hour of cooking time left, add some arrowroot powder (for thickness) and some 100% chocolate. Stir everything together and cook for 1 more hour. Done!
I don’t know why this works so well, but it is SO much easier to layer everything into the crock pot instead of trying to find a pan large enough to mix everything together in first! Trust me, it works!
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. See my affiliate link policy here. AMAZON DISCLOSURE: The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com.