Because I’m apparently obsessed with comfort food lately, I made you Beef Soft Tacos. But I also sabotaged them so that you have to eat ’em with people you love, because these are Beef Soft Tacos with a punchy Garlic Slaw.
While I do love me a lettuce cup, sometimes a girl just needs a bready, carb-y, squishy-flexible soft taco, so I’ve used my Foolproof Grain Free Tortilla recipe to make these hand held bits o’ happiness. The original recipe makes about 6 six inch tortillas, but if you’re feeling like making the super dinky mini soft tacos like you see in the photos, you can also split that recipe into 12 four inch tortillas.
Aren’t they just adorable? I’m not usually one for busting out the cassava flour, but I feel like Beef Soft Tacos are the time to go all out, really.
The filling itself is very simple, a simmered taco beef that’s seasoned and soft, piled on top of a crunchy slaw that’s frankly non-vampire-friendly. You can go lighter or skip the garlic if you like, but I’m just sayin’ it’s worth keeping strangers away with yo’ garlic breath. To each their own!
I like to finish these with a smattering of lime-marinated red and green onions. Because I guess I’m firmly on Team All The Alliums with this one. Serve these Beef Soft Tacos piled high, with a few extra lime wedges knocking around so people can zing things up a little if they like.
Breaking my usual disdain for unitaskers, I do recommend using a cast iron tortilla press for these, especially if you want to make the more fiddly mini tacos. They’re inexpensive, don’t take up much room and make tortilla making less of a curse-speckled kitchen occupation!
Looking for more nightshade free & AIP tacos? Try my Chicken Salsa Verde Tacos with Lime Pickled Onions!Print
Beef Soft Tacos with Garlic Slaw
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 6 1x
- 1 batch of Foolproof Grain Free Tortillas
For the beef soft tacos filling:
- 1 lb / 454 g 85% ground beef
- 1/2 cup / 120 ml chicken broth or water
- 1 tbsp / 2 g dried oregano
- 2 tsp / 1 g dried cilantro leaves
- 1 tsp / 3 g granulated garlic
- 1 tsp / 2 g ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
For the garlic slaw:
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp / 15 ml white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar (see notes)
- 2 tbsp / 30 ml neutral flavored oil like avocado oil or mild olive oil
- 4 cups / 240 g coleslaw mix or finely shredded cabbage
For the garnish:
- 1/2 cup / 70 g diced red onion
- 2 medium green onions, sliced finely
- 1 tbsp / 15 ml lime juice (about 1/2 a lime)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp / 5 g minced fresh cilantro
- PREP: Follow the instructions for making the Foolproof Grain Free Tortillas, either dividing them into six 6″ tortillas or 12 mini 4″ tortillas. Keep the tortillas warm, wrapped in a clean cloth.
- BROWN: Add the ground beef to a skillet over medium heat. Cook, breaking up with a spatula or the back of a spoon, until the beef is in bite size pieces, the fat has rendered and the meat is just beginning to brown.
- SEASON: Pour the broth or water into the skillet, along with the oregano, cilantro, garlic, ginger, onion powder and salt. Stir to combine. Simmer until the liquid has evaporated and the meat is evenly coated in the seasoning, about 3 or 4 minutes. Turn off & remove from the heat, then cover the pan with a lid to keep warm.
- DRESS: Crush or mince the garlic as finely as possible and add to a bowl, along with the vinegar and oil. Whisk together. Add the coleslaw mix or shredded cabbage and use tongs to toss the vegetables until they’re evenly coated in the dressing. Taste and, if you like, add additional oil or vinegar and a pinch of salt.
- MIX: Add the diced red onion and sliced green onions to a bowl, along with the lime juice and salt. Use a spoon to toss together and marinate in the lime juice.
- ASSEMBLE: Lay out the warm tortillas on a platter or divided between plates. Divide the dressed garlic slaw between tortillas, then top with seasoned beef. Spoon over the dressed onion garnish, then sprinkle the tortillas with the minced cilantro. Serve immediately with lime wedges on the side.