Every now and then I have a fierce craving… for hummus. Which may not be a typical food craving. Since I don’t really have much of a sweet tooth, apparently being deprived of legumes sometimes makes me cranky! But while I was bumbling around the kitchen trying to come up with a kind of hummus substitute, I realized I didn’t have any tahini anyway. Uh-oh, double cranky alert. It’s pretty much accurate to say that crankiness was the mother of this carrot dip. In the end, though, that turned out to be a blessing; this is less a faux-hummus and more a sweet vs smoky dip, courtesy of the carrot and smoked paprika combo.
While I am a card carrying member of the “eats too much garlic to be allowed out in polite society” club, I appreciate that most normal people aren’t. The one clove of garlic I used in this does turn out to be pretty punchy. If that’s not your thing, you can decrease down to about half a clove, use some more mellow roasted garlic or skip it altogether. Go with your own preferences.
Oh, and definitely use fresh lemon juice, that really makes the other flavors shine. I served mine with halved mini sweet peppers in place of chips – noms!Print
This carrot dip is both paleo & vegan and has a delicious kick from the combined flavors of fresh lemon, garlic and a little bit of smoked paprika!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 1 1/2 cups 1x
- 1 lb carrots, peeled and cut into inch long chunks
- 1/2 – 1 clove garlic, peeled
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 – 2 tbl extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin seed
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander seed
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Fine sea salt & black pepper to taste
- Boil or steam your carrots until tender; let them drain / let off excess steam for a minute.
- Add carrots, garlic, lemon juice and 1 tbl olive oil to a mini food processor. Pulse until a rough puree texture is achieved.
- Add the cumin and smoked paprika and the remaining olive oil 1 tsp at a time – you may not need all of it. Pulse until the texture is right and serve!
This looks great! We will hve to try this one out! E&c
You’ve got a coding error in the ingredients list: ½ tsp [ground cumin seed|http://amzn.to/1bpd9FT}
Sounds delicious though!
Thanks for letting me know, I’ll hop on over and fix it! 🙂