(Want to know how I meal plan a month in minutes? Here's how!)
I’ve never liked radishes. Ever. They always seemed bitter and intent on ruining a perfectly good salad. Blech!
But the Mr likes them so I’ve learned to keep them around the house fairly often as they’re a great snack for him. However, one week he seemed to have forgotten them and so I found a lovely limp couple of bunches languishing in the fridge. Not wanting to waste them, I decided to throw them in the oven to see if they could be salvaged. I was even brave enough to taste one – and, lo! It turns out that roasted radishes mellow out beautifully when roasted and actually become rather sweet. While still keeping a little crunch. Now I’ve made them a few times since then to double check that the mellowing out wasn’t just because my first batch were – shall we say – a little past their prime. But, nope! Roasting relaxes radishes. Fact!
This isn’t much of a recipe and more like a method – just take whatever radishes you have around, then toss them in a little oil and spices for 10 – 15 minutes at 450F. As long as you lay them out in a single layer on a baking tray, your roasted radishes will come out perfectly. You could probably fit 4 or 5 bunches on a single tray, even sliced into quarters like I’ve done here. So even if you are a radish hater, give these a try! I tend to make them like a party snack here and there, but they’d probably be great as a little side dish, too. Hmm, must investigate!Print
Herb Roasted Radishes
These roasted radishes have lots of flavor but less of the heat than raw radishes, making these a great, unusual Paleo snack or side dish.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- 2 – 4 bunches of radishes, washed & tops removed
- Oil of your choice to roast
- Herbs of your choice: garlic and sage is delicious!
- Preheat the oven to 450F.
- Make sure the radishes are dry and chop into even 1/4 inch slices
- Put the radishes in a bowl and toss with just enough oil to coat.
- Add salt, plus fresh or dried herbs to taste; make sure they are evenly coated.
- Lay the radish slices out on a lined baking tray and roast for 10 – 15 minutes, until lightly blistered and browned around the edges.