(Want to know how I meal plan a month in minutes? Here's how!)
Mr Meatified loves hot Italian sausage. In the summer he loves to grill the links outside along with plenty of peppers and onions. There’s something so wonderful about a meal that is just that simple. Especially when you add all the smoky goodness from the grill. But it’s a little too cold out for that just yet – so I came up with a Whole30 compliant Hot Italian Sausage Soup version of the same meal instead!
I added some white sweet potatoes for a little extra comfort-food factor: it also helps to stretch out a mere 1 lb of Italian sausage into 6 – 8 servings, so this Hot Italian Sausage Soup is really budget friendly, too. If you are following a Whole30 program, make doubly sure that your hot Italian sausage is sugar free!
(Don’t know what a Whole30 is? Check out my introduction to the program here.)
The level of heat in your version of my Hot Italian Sausage Soup will depend on two things: how hot the sausage you are using is to start with and then your personal taste. You will need anywhere from 1/2 a teaspoon up to 1/2 a tablespoon of crushed red pepper to crank the heat up to your spicy sweet spot! Add a little crushed red pepper at a time if you’re not sure.
Hot Italian Sausage Soup
If you love hot Italian sausage grilled up with plenty of onions & peppers, you will love this Winter friendly soup version of the same meal!
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Remove the sausage from its casings and use a cleaver or large heavy weight knife to chop it into crumbles.
- Preheat a large dutch oven over low medium heat. Cook the sausage crumbles until lightly browned.
- If you have more than about a tablespoon of fat left in the pan once the sausage has cooked through, remove the excess.
- Add the diced onion and bell peppers to the pan. Soften until the onions are translucent.
- Add the tomato sauce, stock and water to the pot: turn up the heat and bring the pan to a simmer.
- Add the diced white sweet potatoes and all seasonings. Bring back to a simmer and cook until the white sweet potatoes are tender.