Mr Meatified loves hot Italian sausage. In the summer he loves to grill the links outside along with plenty of peppers and onions. There’s something so wonderful about a meal that is just that simple. Especially when you add all the smoky goodness from the grill. But it’s a little too cold out for that just yet – so I came up with a Whole30 compliant Hot Italian Sausage Soup version of the same meal instead!
I added some white sweet potatoes for a little extra comfort-food factor: it also helps to stretch out a mere 1 lb of Italian sausage into 6 – 8 servings, so this Hot Italian Sausage Soup is really budget friendly, too. If you are following a Whole30 program, make doubly sure that your hot Italian sausage is sugar free!
(Don’t know what a Whole30 is? Check out my introduction to the program here.)
The level of heat in your version of my Hot Italian Sausage Soup will depend on two things: how hot the sausage you are using is to start with and then your personal taste. You will need anywhere from 1/2 a teaspoon up to 1/2 a tablespoon of crushed red pepper to crank the heat up to your spicy sweet spot! Add a little crushed red pepper at a time if you’re not sure.
Hot Italian Sausage Soup
If you love hot Italian sausage grilled up with plenty of onions & peppers, you will love this Winter friendly soup version of the same meal!
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Remove the sausage from its casings and use a cleaver or large heavy weight knife to chop it into crumbles.
- Preheat a large dutch oven over low medium heat. Cook the sausage crumbles until lightly browned.
- If you have more than about a tablespoon of fat left in the pan once the sausage has cooked through, remove the excess.
- Add the diced onion and bell peppers to the pan. Soften until the onions are translucent.
- Add the tomato sauce, stock and water to the pot: turn up the heat and bring the pan to a simmer.
- Add the diced white sweet potatoes and all seasonings. Bring back to a simmer and cook until the white sweet potatoes are tender.