(Want to know how I meal plan a month in minutes? Here's how!)
I’ve been on quite a comfort food kick lately. I’m blaming the combination of Whole30 plus ridiculously-cold-still-weather. After one too many dishes with hearty root vegetables like sweet potatoes, parsnips and carrots, I decided to give my body a little bit of a break. Some comfort from my comfort food? Kind of! Tomato soup for me (and I suspect plenty of other people) still is really a comfort food, but it’s nowhere near as hefty as your average winter meals. I wanted to make a dairy free tomato soup that was Whole 3o compliant, I was worried that it just wouldn’t be “filling enough” for a dinner. Mr Meatified has never particularly cared for liquid dinners, either. But the addition of coconut milk in this dairy free tomato soup makes this lovely and creamy, as well as welcomingly filling, so we were both equally happy to have this for dinner!Print
Simple Creamy Tomato Soup
This is a dairy free tomato soup that still manages to be smooth and creamy through the addition of coconut milk.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Heat a large pan on medium with the coconut oil. Add the diced onion, garlic, shallots and bell pepper.
- Soften for a few minutes – don’t let the garlic begin to brown.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, stock and water. Bring to a simmer and let it cook for about 15 minutes.
- Pour in the coconut milk and add the fresh basil; season to taste & use an immersion blender to puree the soup to the thickness you like.
- Let the soup heat through thoroughly before serving.