One of the first things I ever cooked for Mr Meatified was a meatloaf. It was a complete and utter disaster – which is hilarious when you consider that the basic idea behind meatloaf is so simple. To this day, we still refer to “THE MEATLOAF” and laugh about just how hideous it was. But the good news is, I’ve learned a lot of kitchen lessons in the years since that recipe fail! And I’m here to tell you about how easy it is to make a Breakfast Meatloaf – in the slow cooker!
So what’s a Breakfast Meatloaf? It’s a meatloaf with all the flavors of a great breakfast sausage, but without the hassle of shaping either individual patties or filling sausage links. It’s made in the slow cooker, which means that this Breakfast Meatloaf has no chance of drying out or falling apart. Better yet, this Breakfast Meatloaf is a great make-ahead recipe to add to your arsenal of simple, quick & easy eats. It is just perfect for making ahead, stashing in the refrigerator and then slicing and reheating for breakfast as and when you need it. Slow Cooker Breakfast Meatloaf is basically your new best friend!
How to make Slow Cooker Breakfast Meatloaf
- Soften some onions in a little coconut oil, until they are just translucent (here’s a great place to buy coconut oil).
- Remove the softened onions from the heat and set aside while you measure out your seasonings.
- Add all the other ingredients (except the ground pork) to the same bowl as your seasonings: stir to combine.
- Stir the softened onions through the seasoning mixture so that they continue to cool down further.
- Add the ground pork to the bowl and use your hands to just combine all the ingredients together.
- Place your Breakfast Meatloaf mixture in the center of your slow cooker’s insert; pat it into shape so that there is at least a 1/2 inch gap all around between the loaf and the sides of the slow cooker – just follow the edge of your slow cooker’s insert as a guide for the shape:
- Flatten and smooth over the top of the Breakfast Meatloaf, then put the lid on. If your slow cooker has a temperature probe (like this model), use it now.
- Cook on low until the internal temperature reaches 150F, about 3 hours.
How to serve Slow Cooker Breakfast Meatloaf
Once the Breakfast Meatloaf is done, it can be eaten straight away. But it is so much better once it has been refrigerated overnight! To remove the Breakfast Meatloaf from the slow cooker, let it sit in the turned off slow cooker for 15 – 30 minutes. That gives it some time to firm up a little. Then you can remove it by sliding two spatulas underneath each end and transfer it to another dish.
Cover the Breakfast Meatloaf and refrigerate it overnight. When you are ready to eat, cut slices of Breakfast Meatloaf and add them to a skillet or griddle with a little coconut oil. Cook the Breakfast Meatloaf slices over low-medium heat for about 2 minutes a side, until they have browned nicely and are hot all the way through. As you would expect, this Breakfast Meatloaf is especially delicious with a lovely runny egg on top!
Want to know more about the Whole 30 program? Check out my “Your First Whole 30″ series here!
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. See my affiliate link policy here.
AMAZON DISCLOSURE: The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com.