(Want to know how I meal plan a month in minutes? Here's how!)
I have a meat purchasing problem. Regardless of whether I actually need it or not that week, if I see an obscenely good price on a cut of grass fed beef, I’ll buy it. Even if it’s way too much beef for my two person household and even if I’ve already bought everything I need for that particular grocery trip. I can’t turn down a good deal, man. Which is how I end up trundling home with an extra pot roast even though I don’t need it and the butcher sniggers at me behind my back. It’s true – I’m an easy mark. If I end up taking home any kind of beef cut that’s good for the crockpot, I’ll usually throw it in there and cook it until it shreds up nicely: then I can use it throughout the week on top of salads, for breakfast or even a post workout protein attack. If I really did buy way too much that week, I’ll just stash this in the freezer in single serve portions – they’re great for emergencies! The recipe I usually use for Crockpot Shredded Beef is here, although it’s clear that I need to remember to take some better pictures – those predate my actually buying a camera. Oops.
This week I ended up with nearly 5 lbs worth of extra shredded beef and used some of it to make these “tacos”. If you don’t want the mess of the handheld “taco” version, just chop the romaine up and make taco bowls. Easy!Print
Leftovers Love: Crockpot Shredded Beef Tacos
Super easy crockpot shredded beef is turned into romaine “tacos” or taco bowls – perfect for those Mexican food cravings without the grains!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- 1 large romaine heart
- 1 1/2 cups leftover shredded beef
- 1/2 cup shredded grass fed cheddar OR 2 – 4 tbl grass fed feta
- 1 avocado
- 4 tbl salsa
For the tacos:
- Lay out 2 or 3 romaine leaves per person on a plate.
- Divide the shredded beef between “taco” leaves and top with cheese.
- Mash the avocado and divide between tacos. Top with salsa.
For the taco bowls:
- Chop the romaine into bite size pieces and divide between 2 bowls.
- Top with the shredded beef. Mash the avocado and divide between bowls, top with the salsa to serve.