This is kind of a cross between a soup and a stew. You could thicken it up if you wanted to with a little arrowroot or similar, but I chose not to: I liked the contrast of meat on the bone and the veggie-soup-stravaganza beneath. Do whatever you would like! If you’ve never cooked pork wings or shanks before, don’t worry! This is pretty much foolproof and a great weekend meal. It tastes even better the next day. I’d recommend you make it at the weekend for some weekday lunches to get optimum kickass flavor! It’s a slow cooking oven dish, which means two things: 1) there’s hardly any stovetop prep necessary and 2) once it’s in the oven, you can basically ignore it for at least three hours aside from turning the meat once. And, honestly, even that is optional. Perfect lazy food! If you wanted to, you could even remove the pork wings from the pan and puree the vegetables and braising liquid together to make a lovely Paleo “gravy”!Print
Coconut & Five Spice Pork Wings
Slow braised pork wings (or shanks) are cooked in coconut milk with five spice to create meltingly tender morsels in a deliciously flavorful broth.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 3 hours 30 mins
- Total Time: 3 hours 40 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 4 large pork wings, about 2.5 lbs
- 1 onion, sliced in half moons
- 2 sliced bell peppers
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tbl coconut aminos
- 2 tbl five spice powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Juice of one lime
- 1 can coconut milk
- Fresh cilantro to serve
- For sautéing: avocado oil
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- On the stovetop, heat a large ovenproof pan with an ovenproof lid over medium heat with the avocado oil. Add the onion, bell pepper, shallots and garlic.
- Soften for 10 minutes until onions are translucent. Add the five spice and stir to coat. Lay the pork wings on top of the vegetables.
- Add the coconut milk, coconut aminos, five spice, ginger, smoked paprika and lime juice.
- Cover the pan with the lid and place in the oven for 2 hours.
- Turn the wings over in the braising liquid, then recover and cook until tender, another 1 – 1 1/2 hours.
- Serve the wings on the bone covered with the vegetables, topped with fresh cilantro to taste.
- Optional: remove the wings from the pan and puree the vegetables and braising liquid together for a gravy.