When I first came up with my super easy, no cultures or equipment needed, version of dairy free yogurt, I knew straightaway that I HAD to eventually make myself a parfait. Of course, to do that, I had to come up with a crispy, crunchy granola. One which was grain AND nut free because I wanted to make it suitable for people with nut allergies. I make life easy on myself, huh? Once I had come up with my Banana Maple Nut Free Granola, I was within reaching distance of creating a Paleo peach parfait!
I wanted to do something a little different to just a mix of plain yogurt and fresh fruit, plus I also wanted to make the most of my last remaining peaches. I decided to warm the peaches with a little raw honey and to make things more interesting by muddling them with some fresh basil for an earthy herbaceous note. To do this, I crushed the fresh basil leaves in my hands gently before stirring them into the peach and honey mixture, then gently cooked the peaches just until they had released some of their juices and then thickened slightly. Once the peaches were done, I removed the basil leaves since they had lost their color and texture after being heated.
Whenever I make anything with my Paleo yogurt-a-like, I like to put it in the fridge the night before I need it to set. That way a single serving of it is ready in the morning to be blended and eaten after a little whiz in my mini food processor. However, if you are making this to be eaten on the same day, you will need to give the yogurt some time to thicken and set once you have added the grass fed gelatin to the coconut milk, about an hour. This works out perfectly so you have time to cook up your peaches and let the fruit cool before assembling your Paleo peach parfaits!
This recipe will make either two large breakfast Paleo peach parfaits (you’ll need to be plenty hungry!) or four more moderate, dessert type portions. The only difference will be that you can create more layers if you divide the mixture into only two servings, as I did in the pictures here.Print
Paleo Peach Parfait with Blueberry & Basil
This Paleo Peach Parfait is dairy, grain & nut free! Peaches are simmered with basil then layered with blueberry yogurt and topped with crunchy granola.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- Yield: 2 - 4 servings 1x
For the “yogurt” layers:
- 2 tbl raw honey
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 2 1/2 tbl grass fed gelatin
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup blueberries
For the peach layers:
- 3 peaches, diced
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbl raw honey
- Handful of fresh basil leaves, slightly crushed
For the granola layers:
To make the “yogurt”:
- Sprinkle the grass fed gelatin over about half a cup of the coconut milk. Set aside.
- Pour the remaining coconut milk into a saucepan and whisk in the raw honey, vanilla extract and lime juice.
- Turn the burner to low and add the gelatin mixture to the pan. Gently warm the coconut milk until warm, whisking until the gelatin is combined and lump free.
- Pour the gelatin mixture into a bowl, then cover and refrigerate it for at least an hour.
- When the “yogurt” mixture has set (it will be gelled, but not solid), add it to a blender and process until smooth. Add the blueberries and pulse to combine.
To make the peach layers:
- Add the peaches, lemon juice, raw honey and basil leaves to a saucepan.
- Cook over low heat for about 15 minutes, until the peaches release their juices and thicken slightly.
- Remove from heat and take out the basil leaves.
- Put the peaches in the refrigerator to cool.
To assemble the parfaits:
- For smaller, dessert sized parfaits, divide the “yogurt”, peach & granola layers between 4 glasses or bowls.
- For larger, breakfast sized parfaits, divide the “yogurt”, peach & granola layers between 2 glasses or bowls.