I used to be utterly ambivalent about cruciferous vegetables, finding them either bland or (worse, and as was so traditional growing up!) soggy. Until I finally hit upon the simple genius of roasting them. Duh. They retain a crunch without being underdone and caramelize slightly at the edges, making crispy-happy pieces that make it possible for me to eat an entire head in one sitting. What? Don’t judge me! Other bonus? Easiest side dish in the world.Print
Perfect roast broccoli (or cauliflower)
- 2 heads of broccoli
- Couple of tablespoons coconut oil or other fat
- Seasonings to taste: I use garlic and red pepper flakes usually
- Preheat your oven to 425F and line a baking tray with foil.
- Chop all your broccoli / cauliflower into bite size pieces and throw them in a bowl with your oil and seasonings. Having different sizes is actually good as the smaller pieces will crisp up the awesome-est. Technical term. Stir to evenly coat in oil / spice mixture.
- Spread your seasoned veggie out on your baking tray in as even a layer as you can. Whack in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat up to 450F, flip your veggie pieces over and roast for another 5-ish minutes until edges begin to crisp up. Go for longer if you want moar crispiness, but watch carefully as the risk of blackening instead of crisping increases exponentially 😉
Yum! Just had this one tonight!
Yay, thank you for stopping by to let me know 🙂
If you like shrimp, here’s how I make a version along with roasted broccoli all on one baking sheet! http://meatified.com/magic-shrimp/ 🙂